You know a game has a great story when it reveals a mind-blowing twist. They made gamers toss their controllers in the air in a fit of shock too much to comprehend. In this countdown, I will be going over my picks for the Top 5 video game plot twists.
WARNING: This article contains potential spoilers. If you don’t want to be spoiled, move on to the next article.
5. Call of Duty Modern Warfare: Yes, even Call of Duty can have some groundbreaking plot twists within is repetitive story. One of my favorites plot twists in the entire franchise is where the player evacuates from a city after rescuing fellow soldiers from a crashed chopper. It is then that an atomic bomb detonates in the middle of the city, destroying everything in its wake. This scene was so unexpected and out of nowhere that it captures the destruction of the bomb so perfectly, even allowing the character to walk along its hellish after effect before dying.
Mind-Blown Level: Whoa.
4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Often considered one the best Star Wars games to date, KOTOR gave gamers the opportunity to learn the ways of the force, interact with a wide cast of characters, and choose whether to follow the path of the light or dark side. In the game, the player has a series of strange visions of one of the two Dark Lords of the Sith, Darth Revan. Later in the game, the player comes across Revan’s apprentice, Darth Malak, who reveals that the visions are actually memories. And through a perfect cutscene, it is revealed that the player is in fact Revan, who suffered from amnesia after Malak betrayed him and left him for dead and the Jedi took Revan in and reprogrammed his mind.
Mind-Blown Level: WHAAAAAATTT!?!?!
3. Assassin’s Creed 3: The Assassin’s Creed series is full of great stories that revolve around history and historical characters. The third Assassin’s Creed (technically fifth, not counting handheld games) starts off as the player playing as the assassin Haytham Kenway, father to the main character, Connor Kenway. Here, Kenway makes his way to America to learn about the secrets of a key that he took from one of his previous targets. However, it is later revealed that Haytham Kenway is actual a Grand Master Templar, not an assassin, blowing both the minds of gamers and Kenway’s 21st Century descendant, Desmond Miles.
Mind-Blown Level: Error: Brain cannot process this.
2. Metroid: Granted I never played the game, but come on we all know what this is. After battling through each level after wave after wave of enemies, the bounty hunter Samus Aran finally destroys Mother Brain, thus saving the galaxy. But it is revealed at the end that when Samus takes off the armor…Samus is a woman! Holy crap! Admit it, we all thought that Samus was a dude whole time! However, Nintendo did create another classic character to add to their roster, so we gotta give them creds for that.
Mind-Blown Level: Ym Ibran si rokben.
1. Bioshock: This spectacular game contains by far one of the most mind-blowing moment in all video game history. The player, Jack, enters into the underwater city of Rapture. There, he helps out a man named Atlas on various tasks including a final task to murder the founder of Rapture, Andrew Ryan. Upon meeting Ryan, it is revealed that Jack is a splinter agent who undertakes any order followed by the phrase, “Would you kindly…” This had gamers questioning whether or not they were in control the entire time, and it makes sense why Atlas kept saying that phrase over and over again.
Mind-Blown Level: Nuclear mind bomb.
Which moment in video games blew your mind? Do you agree with my list? If not, list your own in the comment section! And if you liked this be sure to look for more Top 5 lists and be sure to check out more blogs here.